The latest version of Asset Forge is now available for download. This preview release marks the biggest update of Asset Forge yet, completely rewritten from the ground up to bring numerous of new features (listed below). In the coming months we'll be rapidly releasing new preview versions based on community feedback, after the preview releases are done we will port Asset Forge 2 to other platforms including MacOS and Linux.
- The undo/redo function is still under construction, it might work but it...also might not work. Save often and check the save data folder for a recovery file that's often saved if you really mess up.
- Automatic UV mapping might break due to new optimizations, we're overhauling this.
- It'll always ask to save, no matter how many times you've saved.
- It's sometimes hard to see when blocks end up below the grid, if they're below the grid they can't be selected. Lower the grid (button in toolbar, or press page up/down) to select them again.
- The amount of blocks and collections is lower than previous versions, we'll be releasing content updates with new preview releases. The goal is to double the amount of blocks available by the end of January 2020.
The preview version(s) might include bugs and not work like you expect it to. If possible, please report bugs at the community forums or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
- Set size of grid plus rotation snapping
- Switch between a square and hexagon grid
- Set grid opacity
- Set the height of the grid
- Choose collections using a dropdown menu
- Search blocks using keywords
- All block models have been improved and expanded (new collections)
- Block/texture caching at start (improved performance)
- Move, scale and rotate blocks using the new gizmo
- Switch between local and global movement and rotation
- Lock and unlock blocks (locked blocks can't be selected)
- Hide and group blocks
- Change block properties in the new properties panel
- Focus camera on selection by pressing the F key
- Further zoom in and out
- Select different shaders for materials
- Set material options (like metallic, glossiness) and texture scale
- Textures are organized in folders
- Ability to color pick materials in model
- Merge previously saved files
- Set exported model scale and orientation
- Export 2D sprites and 3D models using side panel
- Select and use presets for 2D and 3D exporting
- Added STL, DAE (Collada) and glTF file format for exporting 3D models
- Create custom Lua scripts for advanced editing/procedural generation
- Custom texture support
- More settings for visuals (ambient occlusion, outline, shadows etc.)
- Access all functions using the new menu bar
- Complete rewrite from UnityScript to C#
- Improved workspaces
Please excuse the time it has taken to get this update released, there were a lot of setbacks including data loss. From now on updates will be much more regular, feel free to request features or share the word!